Sunday 20 January 2013

The church that stands opposite the house in which I reside is called Portale Chiesa del Purgatorio which translates into English as the Home Church of Purgatory.  And the street I live on is called Purgatory Street. I can now claim in all honesty to be 'living in Purgatory'.

The external walls of the church are decorated with carvings of skulls and bones and there is a room within the church that houses a tall wooden cabinet with glass doors.  You can see the contents of the cabinet.  Priests of this particular brotherhood were kept in the cabinet dressed in their cassocks.  Forgive me when I say the obvious but I believe I have found the Catholic 'skeletons in the closet'.

My thanks to the priest on the left who turned to me and smiled when I took the photo.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Markee-Mark! How great to hear of your adventures in this way.

    What a fascinating place! And the good news is that when your time in Purgatory is done, you will return to the earthly plane and your own angel , Anita.

    Thank-you for the time and effort you are putting into sharing all this with us.
    Thinking of you, Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie mille senora Amanda. I look forward to being reunited with my beloved. I brought my fisherman's jumper with me that was knitted jointly by Anita, Anita's mum and Anita's grandmother and I wear in my spare time, even when it's really too warm to wear it, I keep it on. It provides me with a physical connection to Anita.

      xx

      Delete
  2. Now there's an idea for our renovation... Anita x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you suggesting the cabinet or the skeletons? xx

      Delete